Did God speak to Moses and the Prophets through Angelic Agency, or did God speak by Himself? Acts 7:35-38
Although Yahweh God talked to the Israelites through angelic agency, the scriptures prove that Yahweh’s actual voice (Gal. 3:19; Heb. 2:2) was not literally heard or seen by the Israelites.
Acts 7:35-38, “This Moses whom they rejected … is the one God sent to be a ruler and deliverer BY THE HAND OF THE ANGEL WHO APPEARED TO HIM IN THE BUSH … This is he (Moses), that was in the church in the wilderness with THE ANGEL WHICH SPOKE TO HIM IN THE MOUNT SINAI, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us …”
Inspired Scripture proves that God sent Moses to be a ruler and deliverer “by the hand of the angel who appeared to him in the bush.” It was also an “angel which spoke to him (Moses) in the Mount Sinai” to deliver “the lively oracles of God (the 10 commandments and the law).” Hence, we can clearly see that God used angels to speak to Moses and the prophets as His agents in the Hebrew Bible.
New Testament Scripture proves that the LAW WAS GIVEN BY ANGELIC AGENCY.
Acts 7:53, “Who have RECEIVED THE LAW BY THE DIRECTION OF ANGELS, and have not kept it.”
Galatians 3:19 states that the Law, “…was ORDAINED BY ANGELS in the hand of a mediator (Moses).”
The Greek word translated as “ordained” in Galatians 3:19 is “diatasso” which more literally means “to command.” Thus we can see that the Law of Moses “was commanded by angels” by the hand of Moses as “a mediator.”
Hebrews 2:2, “For if THE WORD SPOKEN BY ANGELS was steadfast (THE LAW), and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompense of reward, how shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation (NEW COVENANT SALVATION) …”
Notice that inspired scripture states that “the word was spoken by angels” rather than directly by God the Father Himself. So we know that God used angels as His agents to deliver His word to Moses and the prophets. Thus we can see why inspired scripture states that God appeared to Moses through the angel in the burning bush (“This Moses whom they rejected … is the one God sent to be a ruler and deliverer BY THE HAND OF THE ANGEL who appeared to him in the bush”- Acts 7:35-36; “The angel of Yahweh appeared to him in a blazing fire from the midst of a bush”-Exodus 3:2) and why inspired scripture states that God delivered the Law through angels at Mount Sinai (Heb. 2:2; Acts 7:38 “…the angel which spoke to him in Mount Sinai”; Acts 7:53).
Acts 7:53 “Who have RECEIVED THE LAW BY THE DIRECTION OF ANGELS, and have not kept it.”
God clearly gave the Law of Moses “by the direction of angels” rather than by Himself. That is why the Jews have always believed that God gave His word to Moses in the Law and to the prophets through angelic agency. The Jews believe that through the “law of agency,” “A PERSON’S AGENT IS REGARDED AS THE PERSON HIMSELF (Ned. 72b; Kidd. 41b).”
The Encyclopaedia of the Jewish Religion, Adama Books, New York, NY, 1986, pg. 15 states,
“The angels that spoke the law were the LORD’S agents or representatives. As such, they had full authority to not only speak in His name, but to seemingly appropriate His name as in Exodus 20:2; ‘I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.’ They were speaking exactly what God wanted them to say.”
FIVE FACTS ABOUT ANGELS IN THE HEBREW SCRIPTURES
1. GOD SPOKE TO MOSES THROUGH ANGELS - Acts 7:35-38 states that God spoke to Moses through the angel at the burning bush and through an angel on Mount Sinai. For Acts 7:35-38 clearly states that “God sent (Moses) to be a ruler and deliverer BY THE HAND OF THE ANGEL WHO APPEARED TO HIM IN THE BUSH (in the burning bush) … This is he (Moses), that was in the church in the wilderness with THE ANGEL WHICH SPOKE TO HIM IN THE MOUNT SINAI …” Hence, God’s actual voice did not speak to Moses at the burning bush or at Mount Sinai because God spoke to Moses “by the hand of the angel … in the bush” and by “the angel which spoke to him in Mount Sinai.”
2. THE LAW OF MOSES WAS RECEIVED BY THE DIRECTION OF ANGELS - Acts 7:53 states that “THE LAW” was “received” “BY THE DIRECTION OF ANGELS.” Since the Law of Moses was received by the direction of angels, God clearly used angelic agency to deliver it.
3. THE LAW WAS COMMANDED BY ANGELS - Galatians 3:19 - The Law “… was COMMANDED BY ANGELS in the hand of a mediator (Moses).”
4. THE WORD OF GOD WAS SPOKEN BY ANGELS - Hebrews 2:2 - “For if THE WORD SPOKEN BY ANGELS was steadfast (THE LAW) …”
5. THE ANCIENT HEBREWS REGARDED GOD’S ANGELIC AGENTS AS GOD HIMSELF - In the Hebrew “law of agency,” “A PERSON’S AGENT IS REGARDED AS THE PERSON HIMSELF (Ned. 72b; Kidd. 41b).”
For More ARTICLES
For Free BOOKS
For Video Teachings, subscribe to our YOUTUBE CHANNEL